Who is exempt from the healthcare coverage requirement?
You are exempt from the noncompliance penalty if any of the following items are true.
- The health insurance premiums exceed 8% of your household income
- Your household income is below the income tax filing thresholds, in certain hardship cases
- You reside outside the US
- You have a coverage gap of less than three months.
- You are a member of a recognized religious sect that is opposed to accepting health care insurance
- You are an Indian tribe member
- You are in jail
Dependents (not spouses, mind you) are exempt from the noncompliance penalty because the taxpayer who claims the dependent is responsible for paying the penalty.
Similar healthcare questions answered
See more frequently asked questions
Visit our office in Old Farm Executive Park just west of Costco
Click on the map to get directions from your current location. Note that our office is not visible from Grant Road. It is located in Old Farm Executive Park, as seen in the map.